Beloved Prophet ﷺ has mentioned a few effective duas for sleeping. Which helps oneself to have a sound sleep. Not only it helps for a sound deep sleep but also it helps earn heavy rewards and Jannah to the reciter. There are a few recommendations that need to be followed and are best for one’s health.
Duas For Sleeping With Hadith
- It was narrated that Abu Hurairah Radi ALLAHu ‘Anhu said: The Prophet ﷺ said:
- “When one of you goes to his bed, let him dust off his bed with the inside of his lower garment, for he does not know what came onto it after he left it. Then let him say:
- Bismika Rabbee Waz’atu Janbee, wa Bika Arfa’uhu, Fa-in, Amsaktaa Nafsee Far’ham-Haa, wa-in Arsal-tahaa Fah-Faz-haa, Bimaa Ta’hfazu Bihi ‘Ibaadakas-Saaliheena
- With YOUR Name my Lord, I lay myself down; and with YOUR Name I rise. And if my soul YOU take, have mercy on it, and if YOU send it back then protect it as YOU protect YOUR righteous slaves.”
- Saheeh Al-Bukhaari 6320 and Saheeh Muslim 2714
It was narrated that Hudhayfah ibn Al-Yamaan Radi ALLAHu ‘Anhu said:
When the Prophet ﷺ wanted to sleep, he would say, “Allahumma bismika ahyaa wa amoot (O ALLAH, in Your name I live and die)”, and when he woke up he would say
“Al-‘Hamdu Lillaah Allazee Ahyaanaa B’ada Ma Amaatanaa wa Ilayhi Al-Nushoor
Praise be to ALLAH who has brought us back to life after causing us to die, and to Him is the resurrection.”
Saheeh Al-Bukhaari 6324
Narrated ‘Aishah Radi ALLAHu ‘Anhu:
“The Prophet ﷺ would not sleep until he recited Surat Bani Isra’il and Az-Zumar.”
Jam’i At-Tirmidhi | Vol. 5, Book 42, Hadith 2920 | Grade: Hassan
Don’t forget to read this beautiful dua→ Ayatul Kursi in Hindi HD Images
Recite “Subhaan ALLAH” 33 times, “Al-‘Hamdulillah” 33, and “ALLAHu akbar” 34 times.
It was narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib that Fatimah Radi ALLAHu ‘Anha went to the Prophet ﷺ and asked him for a servant. He said:
“Shall I not tell you of something that is better for you than that? When you go to sleep, glorify ALLAH (by saying Subhaan ALLAH ) thirty-three times, praise ALLAH (by saying Al-‘Hamdu Lillah) thirty-three times, and magnify Him (by saying ALLAHu akbar) thirty-four times.” And I have never abandoned [that practice] since then. It was said: Not even on the night of Siffeen? He said: Not even on the night of Siffeen.
Saheeh Al-Bukhaari 5362 and Saheeh Muslim 2727
It was narrated from Hafsah Radi ALLAHu ‘Anhu that when the Messenger of ALLAH ﷺ wanted to sleep, he would put his right hand under his right cheek, then he would say:
“ALLAHumma Qini ‘Azaabaka Yawma Tab’ath ‘Ibaadaka
O ALLAH, protect me from Your punishment on the Day You resurrect Your slaves)” three times.
Abu Dawood 5045| Classed as Saheeh by Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Baari 11/119
ALLAH ﷻ Disliked This Kind of Posture While Sleeping
→ Learn the Sunnah way of sleeping
There could be some wisdom (Hikmah) behind this posture while sleeping. Therefore, a Muslim should not sleep on his stomach.
It was narrated from Qais bin Tihfah Al-Ghifari that his father said:
“The Messenger of ALLAH ﷺ found me sleeping in the masjid on my stomach. He nudged me with his foot and said: ‘Why are you sleeping like this? This is a kind of sleep that ALLAH dislikes,’ or ‘that ALLAH hates.’”